Q: How do I turn off page numbering on just one page? Answer.
Q: How do I create a margin for a spine when I have double-sided printing? Answer.
Q: My document is set up for 8.5 x 11 inch portrait printing on individual pages. How do I print it on 11x17 paper with 2 pages side-by-side? Answer.
Q: How do I change the default page size for Publish-iT? (For example, it always starts with 8.5x11, but I want A4) Answer.
Q: How do I insert a symbol into Publish-iT? Answer.
Q: When using a colored background, how does one get the background color to print all the way to the edges of the paper? Answer
Q: There is a line in my printed output that is not in my original. How do I get rid of it? Answer
Q: I can't select an object on my page. Or I can't unlock an object on my page. What is the problem? Answer.
Q: When I click on an object on page 2, why does it select an object on page 1?
Q: Why does Publish-iT think I have 999 pages? Answer.
PDF file Problems and Questions for PUBLISH-iT PRO.
Q: I can't generate PDF documents. Answer.
Q: How do I reduce the size of a PDF file that Publish-iT Pro generates? Answer.
Q: When I read a PDF file generated by Publish-iT, I get the error message "Invalid Path". Answer.
Q: When I print my PDF document, the margins are different then when I print from Publish-iT. How do I fix this? Answer.
Q: How do I set up a PDF file to send to a printer who will print my 8.5x11 pages on 11 X 17 paper, 2 pages/sheet. I the pages to be laid out correctly for 2-sided printing. i.e. Page 12 and Page 1 (last and first), Page 2 and Page 11 next, etc. Answer.
Q: My fonts do not show up correctly in my PDF document. How do I fix this? Answer
Q: There is a line in my PDF document that is not in my original. How do I get rid of it? Answer
Q: How do I turn off page numbering on just one page?
To turn off page numbering on just one page, either:
1. Turn off page numbering on the master page (see above), and then turn it on on each page you want a number.
2. Assign a non-existent master page to the page on which you DON'T want page numbering. To do this, first go to the page that you want no page numbers on, then click on Page->Assign Master Page, and set the page number to -5. This causes the current page to use page -5 as its master page. Since page -5 does not exist, there will be no master page for this page, and hence no page numbers.
Q: How do I create a margin for a spine when I have double-sided printing?
You must have Publish-iT 2.3G or higher. Then:
1. Select Page->Margins.
2. Set the right and left hand margins that you want for ODD pages (1, 3, ...)
3. Check the box labeled 'Mirror Margins'. This will reverse the right and left-hand margins for EVEN pages.
If you already have created a document, then you can cause all pages to shift right or left for the spine:
1. Select File->Print.
2. The PRINT dialog box will appear. Click on Options...
3. The Options dialog box will appear. Set a value in the field labeled "Right" in the section "Shift image location on page". Enter a value like 0.25, which will shift everything .25 inches to the right on ODD pages.
4. Check the box labeled "Mirror right shift on even pages.". This will shift the entire page an equal amount to the left for EVEN pages.
Q: My document is set up for 8.5 x 11 inch portrait printing on individual pages. How do I print it on 11x17 paper with 2 pages side-by-side?
To switch to 11x17 in landscape and print 2 pages side by side, do this:
1. Select Page->Page Size...
2. The Page Size and Layout dialog appears. Select BOOKLET, then click on Change Paper Size.
3. Set the page size you want in your printer properties dialog. Then click on OK.
4. Back in the Page Layout dialog, select Landscape. The preview box will show your booklet with 2 pages side by size, each page 1/2 the size of the paper.
5. Click on OK.
6. Select File->Print and select the booklet printing mode you want.
Q: How do I change the default page size for Publish-iT? (For example, it always starts with 8.5x11, but I want A4)
Publish-iT always defaults to the default paper size for your default printer. To change your default paper size:
1. Exit Publish-iT.
2. Click on Start -> Settings -> Printers.
3. Right click on your default printer, and select Properties.
4. Change your page size, and click on OK.
5. Then restart Publish-iT.
Q: How do I insert a symbol or accented character into Publish-iT?
1. From Publish-iT, select Insert -> Symbol. The Symbol dialog box will appear.
2. Find the symbol that you want (you can change the font using the font name in the drop down box on the Symbol dialog box.)
3. Click on the symbol to see a large version of the symbol.
4. Click on the INSERT button.
5. You can insert as many symbols as you wish. When you are done, click on the CLOSE button.
Q: I can't select an object on my page, or I can't unlock an object on my page.
1. Make sure that the 'locked' object or page is really NOT on page 0, which is the master page (also known as the background page). 'Page Up' to page 0 and make sure that the content that you think is locked is not actually on page 0. If it is on page 0, you can copy it from page 0 to the page you want it on, and then delete it from page 0.
2. If you locked the object by using the Draw->Lock command, then you should be able to follow the instructions in the Help file under Lock: 1. Select the object by holding down the Ctrl AND Shift keys (at the same time) and do a left-mouse-click. Then you can unlock it with Draw->Unlock.
Q: When using a colored background, how do I get the background color to print all the way to the edges of the paper?
Set your margins to 0. This will cause the background to print to the edge of the paper, or as close to the edge as your printer will allow (most printers will NOT print to the very edge. For CANON and EPSON printers that will print to the edge, you must set the printer driver to print to the edge. To do this, select File->Printer Setup, click on Properties, and select 'print to edge').
To set margins to 0, click on Page ->Margins, and set each margin to 0.
PDF questions for PUBLISH-iT PRO
Q: I've installed the Publish-iT Pro upgrade package, but it keeps telling me that I can't generate PDF documents.
Click here to download and install the full Publish-iT Pro package. This usually resolves any installation issue. Also click here to see full instructions on installing the upgrade.
If you have already installed the upgrade and you still can't generate PDF documents, click here and go to Step 8.
Q: I get the error message "Invalid Path" when Acrobat tries to read a PDF file created by Publish-iT Pro.
There is an error in the PDF converter used by Publish-iT which sometimes generates invalid PDF file instructions when converting certain clip-art or logos to PDF format. You will have to delete the clip-art or logos from your Publish-iT file and recreate the PDF file. We are working with Amyuni, the vendor of the PDF convertor, to resolve this problem.
Q: When I print my PDF document, the margins are different then when I print from Publish-iT. How do I fix this?
From within Acrobat reader, click on File->Print, then UNCHECK the box labeled 'shrink oversized pages to fit paper size'. Acrobat reader is resetting the margins when it prints the document.
Q. How do I reduce the size of a PDF file that Publish-iT Pro generates?
You can cut down the file size that Publish-iT generates by changing the default image compression algorithm to use jpeg:
From within Publish-iT:
1. File->PDF File->Setup PDF File.
2. The PDF Generator screen will appear.
3. Select the Image Compression tab.
4. Change the Algorithm to 'JPEG Compression'.
5. Set the JPeg compression level to 4.
6. Click OK.
7. Now create the PDF file (File->Print). This will work well with real pictures, but not with graphics.
Q: I am trying to set up a PDF file to send to a printer who will print my 8.5x11 pages on 11 X 17 paper, 2 pages/sheet. How do I make sure the pages are laid out correctly for the printer for 2-sided printing. i.e. Page 12 and Page 1 (last and first), Page 2 and Page 11 next, etc.
1. Start Publish-iT.
2. Select New Booklet (2 pages/sheet).
3. The Page Size Wizard will ask you if 8.5x11 is the page size you want to print on. Click NO.
4. The Printer Setup dialog box will appear. Click on "PDF File Properties"
5. Select 11 x 17 as your paper size. Click on OK.
6. The Add a new Page dialog box will appear. Create your document normally for 8.5x11 pages.
7. To print the document, select File->Print. Then select "Booklet (2 pages/sheet), center-staple 2 sided"
If you already have created a document for 8.5 x 11 paper, then:
1. Select File->Printer Setup, and click on "PDF File Properties".
2. Set your paper size to 11x17. Click on OK.
3. The Custom Size dialog box will appear.
a. Set your page size to 8.5 wide x 11 high.
b. Set your paper orientation to landscape.
You must do both these steps. Then Click OK.
3. Select File->Print, and select "Booklet (2 pages/sheet), center-staple 2 sided".
Q: My fonts do not show up correctly in my PDF document. How do I fix this?
If you are using anything other than the standard Windows fonts (like Times Roman and Arial) then you often need to include these fonts in your PDF document so they are available to the person who is reading the document. To include (embed) fonts:
1. Select File->Printer Setup, and click on "PDF File Properties".
2. Select the tab labeled "Advanced Options".
3. Check the box labeled "Font Embedding".
Q: There is a line in my PDF document or printout that is not in my original. How do I get rid of it?
Sometimes line, shapes, or pictures (bitmaps) in your Publish-iT document get their height set to zero. This causes them to disappear from the screen. However, the PDF drivers and some printer drivers will still create a 1-pixel high line when the file is printed. To get rid of these lines you need to find and get rid of objects with zero height. To do this:
1. Select View->Options, and check the box that's labeled "Display Graphics Bounding Boxes".
2. Zero height objects should now show as a thin blue dashed line.
3. Using your mouse, select the object and then delete it by hitting the DEL key.
4. If you have difficulty selecting the object, use the TAB key repeatedly to toggle through all the objects on your page. Eventually the tab key will select the offending object (it will turn red). Then you can delete it.
Q: Printing six slides to a page only prints one slide. What can I do?
This problem only happens when you print from the Print Preview screen. Just select PRINT from the Print screen, and it will work fine.